One of the greatest things about the Modest Needs mission is its restorative powers. "Restorative powers" sounds like a superhero's super power, but in reality it's much simpler.
While your gifts to Modest Needs allow hardworking people and struggling families to get back on track financially, you also restore their faith in the goodness of others.
Many of our grant recipients at Modest Needs have been victims of continued bad luck (for lack of a better term), often at the hands of other people. Some have been abused by their husbands. Others have been taken for a ride by sleazy roommates or landlords. Too many have been abandoned. So, when you give of yourself to pull them out of a rut, it's very often the first act of kindness they been privvy too in a very long time.
Here are just a handful of the testimonials that express sincere gratitude for restoring belief in mankind:
- "[You] have little by little shown me that while there is evil in this world, there is much good to temper it."
- "[T]his donation helps prove that there are great people out there that really do care about the well being of their fellow human kind."
- "I've always been told that there's no good left in the world. A message from the broken hearts I've known. I must confess, after all the turmoil I've seen and endured, I was starting to lose faith as well. With this act of kindness, you've restored that faith."
- "You have renewed my faith in humanity."
- "I have a renewed sense of hope in everything."
- "I will be forever grateful for your thoughtfulness and kind generosity. Not only by helping me financially, but also spiritually."
You can't underestimate the power giving someone hope. That's giving someone the gift of life. Because, you've heard what they say, you gotta have hope.
[Photo by karla_k]