Mold isn't just a slimy inconvenience. For those with certain health conditions, it can be a dangerous, even life-threatening, presense in the home. This single mother of three was rushed to the hospital after a colony of dark mold in her shower triggered a severe asthma attack. Doctors have explained that if she does not have the shower redone and the mold erradicated, she (and her asthmatic son) will be at high risk for future attacks...or worse. Though she works full-time, the expense of redoing her shower is one she cannot handle on her own. She's reaching out for help to make her home a safe, sanitary space for her children and herself. Read on to learn more about this applicant in her own words:
"I am a single mom of three wonderful children. I have a 19-year-old boy, 17-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl. I work full time in a medical billing office and will be starting school again in January to continue my education.
My middle son and I both have severe asthma. It is exacerbated by the mold and mildew that is continually growing worse in our old home, and has started to effect our breathing more in recent months. I have recently been hospitalized for my asthma, and was informed that the mold is what is triggering our attacks. We need get this fixed immediately to stay healthy and safe.
I desperately need help with the repair bill to have shower walls, which are full of mold and mildew, replaced. My hourly wages and child support checks barely cover the usual expenses for the house and car, and food for my children. I do not have any extra to set aside for emergency expenses. My parents try to help when we are in need, but this time the expense is too large for our family to handle.
I am afraid that if the situation is not resolved my asthma will become life-threatening, and that my son's condition will worsen. It is very scary to know something must be done when you do not have the ability or finances to fix it. I am currently seeking weekend employment so help with expenses, but have not been able to find one yet and worry about what will happen in the meantime.
Funding this application will correct the awful problem in our home and keep it from spreading into other rooms in the house. This will in turn will help my breathing and my son's too. We truly need your help. Thank you and God Bless."